Friday, April 25, 2008

Staff Pick of the Week

Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose collected and illustrated by Scott Gustafson (2007)

I admit that I love Mother Goose books. I love the old-fashioned language, the alliteration, the onomatopoeia, and the illustrations that adorn these books. My personal favorites have always been the classic illustrated volumes and the very young child-friendly illustrations such as the Iona Opie/Rosemary Wells collaborations. But not all Mother Goose books are created equal. One of the best illustrated Mother Goose books that I've come across in quite awhile is Scott Gustafson's Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose. Large, beautiful, imaginative paintings illustrate a great selection of nursery rhymes. A good introduction to these classic rhymes for toddlers and preschoolers. The large illustrations also make this a good choice for using in group settings like preschool or storytime.

No comments: